Wednesday 11 April 2012

Soul Medicine

I'm feeling poorly today, so earlier, I retreated back to childhood, pulling on my most comfortable pyjamas, big thick knit socks and made myself a bed on the sofa. 


I have a selection of DVDs that are reserved to numb that special type of wallowing, self-pity that only sickness or boys can cause. They are mostly of the 80's cartoon variety (The Raccoons, Duck Tales, Super Ted, Teenage mutant hero turtles, etc) but today I picked out 'The Worst Witch' (with Mildred Hubble played by a very innocent looking Fairuza Balk) 
I never owned it as a child but we used to rent it from our local 'Video Action' (god love video stores, a small piece of me died when they did) as a treat and it would get repeated pretty much non-stop until it was due back.


So, there I am, snuggled in my duvet, with a piece of tissue plugged up each nostril and a hot cup of lemsip beside me, feeling as if no body has ever felt this poorly in the whole of time when suddenly, the "Growing up isn't easy" opening song begins! My toes happily wiggle in response and for 70 minutes a bubble of delight envelopes me, floating me far from my snotty, feverish world.
I don't know whether it's just the nostalgia casting a rosy haze but it's one of my favourite kiddyfilms. 
So you may need the imagination of a child to see past the graphics of 1986...and yes it would be best viewed before the Harry Potter addiction has been experienced (I would like to point out that The Worst Witch is most certainly pre-potter, the books were written in 1974!)


But you just can't help falling in love with out of place Mildred Hubble and her out of place cat, Tabby as they try to do what they were born to do and 9 times out of 10 fail miserably. Who can't relate? Plus, good old Tim Curry plays the grand wizard, what's not to love!


Being a Bookseller by trade, I should really recommend the books at this point! I actually have no trouble doing so with genuine enthusiasm, they are wonderful for 5-8 year olds and are what got me interested in reading to begin with. The audio book CD's I'd suggest for any age! Soothing narration - perfect to play when despite drinking 3 litres of Horlicks, sleep still evades you or when you've just watched 28 Weeks Later (eek) so you're head is filled with flesh munching, raged humans and you'd like the images to go, pronto!


An interesting ponder on sickness...  It was only last week when I thought to myself, 'I wish I could have some good, quality me time' the kind of time where you're not expected to do anything that requires the use of energy. Unfortunately, that sort of time doesn't often exist outside the Limbo Land of long distance travelling, where you're stuck in some stuffy, cramped  mode of transport for a number of hours and you can only do seated activities. 
Well, you certainly get what you wish for, only my 'me time' came complete with snot, feverish sweats and a head full of bumble bees. 


It would appear that my magic skills are no greater than Mildred Hubble's after all......
Sketch taken from 'The Worst Witch' book by Jill Murphey

No comments:

Post a Comment